Updated: Oct 16
Congratulations on your beautiful new hair extensions! Now that you've entered the world of NBR, maintaining their luster and longevity is crucial. Proper hair extension maintenance can make all the difference in how your extensions look and feel over time. In this Haute Hair guide, we'll walk you through the dos and don'ts of hair extension care, helping you keep your gorgeous locks in top shape.
Dos: The Essential Hair Extension Care Practices
1. Brush with Care:
- Use a Gentle Brush: Opt for a Sheila Stotts Untangle Brush with metal bristles or a Detangling WET Brush . Begin brushing from the tips and work your way up to avoid tangles.
- Brush Regularly: Gently brush your extensions at least twice a day to prevent matting and tangling, especially in the nape area. Unlike your natural hair, your extensions don't receive oil from your scalp so always remember to add Oribe Gold Lust oil to the ends of your hair to add moisture and prevent split ends. This can be done prior to brushing!
2. Wash with the Right Products:
- Use Sulfate-Free Shampoo and Conditioner: Sulfate-free products are gentle and won't strip the extensions of natural oils or damage the bonds. We recommend using the Oribe Gold Lust line. Oribe also offers several lines that focus on hydration, moisture, scalp control etc to fit your unique hair needs. Our stylists can make a professional recommendation to fine tune your hair routine to optimize hair health!
- Keep the Scalp Clean: Pay attention to your scalp hygiene as well to ensure the attachment points remain clean and secure. It's important to monitor your scalp health when wearing NBR extensions because many symptoms can arise if one neglects their scalp. We highly recommend implementing Scalp Treatments to keep your scalp in check and make sure your experience with NBR is seamless.
3. Hair Masks
- Regular Hair Masks: Treat your extensions to a hair mask treatment once a week to maintain their softness and shine. We've been loving the R+Co Bleu Sleep Masque Night Repair Serum because of its immediate results to damaged hair. If you suffer from damaged, dry hair with split ends we highly recommend implementing this into your weekly routine.
4. Secure Hair Before Sleeping:
- Tie Your Hair Up: Put your hair in a loose, low ponytail or braid before sleeping to minimize tangling and friction on the pillow. We highly recommend using a silk scrunchie or a seamless hair tie that avoids snagging or tugging at your hair.
5. Protect While Swimming:
- Apply a leave in mask before entering chorinated water and use sunscreens that don't contain Avobenzone and Octocrylene. These ingredients can turn your extensions orange. Recently we've been using Super Goop sunscreen, but any SPF without those ingredients will do!
Don'ts: Hair Extension Care Pitfalls to Avoid
1. Excessive Heat:
- Limit Heat Styling: Overexposure to heat styling tools can cause damage like split ends, dryness and even affect your color. If you must use heat, always apply a heat protectant like the Hypseronic Heat Styling Spray from R+Co Bleu. This is an absolute must have and we could not go a day without it! We also love the Oribe Mystify Restyling Spray to revamp styled hair from the day before. It reactivates any hair product you applied previously and makes your day old hair look brand new! Another reason we absolutely love NBR extensions is the strong memory hold, once you've styled your hair it can last days to even a full week without having to reapply heat. As long as you're using high end products to maintain your hair you'll be spending less time on styling and less heat usage leading to an overall easier routine while getting ready!
- Don't Wash Daily: Avoid washing your hair extensions daily, as it can lead to dryness and premature fading of color. If you're in desperate need of a wash and its only been a couple days we highly recommend doing a crown wash at the roots of your hair to avoid washing your extensions. Make sure to section your hair and focus the shampoo on your rows. Gently scrub between the rows to ensure they're clean. Avoid using conditioner at your roots especially if you get oily quick. You can also apply a dry shampoo to get you through the week. R+CO Bleu's Vapor Lotion to Dry Shampoo works wonders and doesn't leave a powdery
residue. It just melts perfectly into your hair creating an effortless clean look without the hassle!
3. Oil on Bonds:
- Avoid Oily Products at the Roots: Refrain from applying oily hair products directly to your roots, this can lead to excessive oil
. In some instances applying oil to the return hair or "mustache" of your extensions can be beneficial to avoid irritation or itchiness. This doesnt apply to all extensions so be sure to check in with your stylist to see if your extensions may need this extra step!
4. Neglecting Regular Maintenance:
- Stick to the Maintenance Schedule: Don't skip your scheduled maintenance appointments with your hairstylist. These visits are essential for tightening the extensions and ensuring they remain secure.
5. Tugging and Pulling:
- Be Gentle: Avoid rough handling, tugging, or pulling on your extensions, as it can damage both the extensions and your natural hair.
Caring for your hair extensions is an art that, when done right, ensures they stay lustrous and beautiful. By following these dos and don'ts of hair extension maintenance, you'll be well on your way to enjoying long-lasting, stunning locks. Remember, a little care goes a long way in preserving the integrity of your extensions and keeping them in top condition. With these tips, you can confidently showcase your fabulous hair extensions and enjoy their beauty for months to come
Are you considering NBR extensions and wish to determine your candidacy? Explore this link to submit your application, and our salon concierge will promptly contact you to arrange a consultation appointment. Natural Beaded Rows® : Stunning Hair. Seamless Color. Natural Looking. Minimal Care.