Natural Beaded Rows (NBR) extensions have become increasingly popular in recent years, admired for their ability to create natural-looking volume and length. However, along with their rise in popularity, several misconceptions and concerns have surfaced regarding their impact on hair health. In this blog post, we aim to address these common myths, offering expert insights and guidance on maintaining the health of your hair while enjoying the benefits of NBR extensions.
Myth 1: NBR Extensions Are Harmful to Natural Hair
One prevalent misconception suggests that NBR extensions can damage your natural hair. Contrary to this belief, when properly applied and cared for, NBR extensions can coexist harmoniously with your natural hair. Key points to consider include:
- Skillful Installation:An experienced stylist will ensure that NBR extensions are applied without exerting undue stress on your natural hair. NBR extensions also use fewer contact points (beads and rows). This reduces stress on your natural hair, minimizing the risk of damage, breakage, and hair loss. This strategic placement reduces tension on the hair follicles and minimizes the risk of traction alopecia, a condition associated with hair loss due to constant pulling and tension. In addition we use Silicone-Free Beads at our studio to reduce friction and damage to the hair follicles.
- Routine Maintenance: Regular maintenance appointments are crucial. Our stylists will reposition your NBR extensions and retouch your color, ensuring they look as stunning as the day you got them. If you post pone your NBR extension maintenance appointments past the 6-8 week mark, some issues can arise. First, as your natural hair grows, a noticeable gap can develop between your roots and the extensions, compromising the seamless look. Over time, this gap can become more apparent and less flattering. Additionally, the weight of the extensions can strain your natural hair, potentially leading to breakage or damage. Proper maintenance is essential to keep your NBR extensions looking their best and ensuring the long-term health of your hair.
Myth 2: NBR Extensions Hinder Natural Hair Growth
Another common concern is that NBR extensions may hinder the natural growth of your hair. The reality is that, when installed correctly, NBR extensions don't interfere with hair growth and can even protect your natural hair. To encourage healthy hair growth:
- Select an Experienced Stylist: Choose a certified and knowledgeable stylist who understands how to install extensions without causing harm and how to fine tune your install to your specific needs.
-Use Luxury Products: To maintain the health of your natural hair and extensions use luxury products such as Oribe or R+CO Bleu to ensure your hair is receiving the highest quality ingredients that are free of sulfates, chemicals and parabens.
- Scalp Treatments: Scalp health is equally important to Hair Health and in the long run will promote hair growth. How do you know if you're in need of a scalp treatment? Heres how: Do you suffer from dry, itchy or irritated scalp? Do you have product build up or dandruff? If you said yes to these questions, then you can definitely benefit from a scalp treatment and daily regiment that focuses on your scalp. Our scalp treatment will help nourish, detoxify and cleanse your scalp to get you back on track to hair growth heaven. In addition using products for your scalp can help maintain the health of your scalp after treatment. We highly recommend Oribe's Serene Scalp line: Serene Scalp Thickening Spray, Serene Scalp Soothing Treatment and the Shampoo/Conditioner.
Myth 3: Extensions Lead to Thinning Hair Over Time
There's a misconception that prolonged use of extensions can result in thinning of natural hair. However, thinning hair is often a result of improper installation, excessive tension, or inadequate maintenance. To preserve healthy hair:
- Watch for Tension: Ensure your extensions aren't overly tight or causing discomfort. Any signs of discomfort indicate tension that should be addressed promptly.
- Follow Care Guidelines: Adhere to the care instructions provided by your stylist, including using recommended products and techniques for washing and styling.
Myth 4: Extensions Demand Excessive Maintenance
Some believe that NBR extensions, like other extensions, necessitate an impractical amount of time and effort for upkeep. The reality is that NBR extensions can be relatively low-maintenance:
- Simple Care Routine: NBR extensions don't require daily attention. A basic care routine, such as gentle shampooing and conditioning with Oribe products (typically every 3-4 days), oiling your ends and brushing daily, and applying a hair masque once a month is generally sufficient.
- Regular Salon Visits: Plan routine maintenance appointments every 6-8 weeks with your stylist to ensure your NBR extensions and color remain in optimal condition.
Natural Beaded Rows (NBR) extensions offer a beautiful way to enhance your hair's appearance without compromising its health or growth potential. When entrusted to a skilled stylist and maintained correctly, NBR extensions can be a valuable addition to your beauty regimen. To enjoy the full benefits while safeguarding your natural hair, consult with a certified NBR extension specialist who can provide tailored guidance and help you achieve the hair you desire while preserving its vitality.
Are you considering NBR extensions and wish to determine your candidacy? Explore this link to submit your application, and our salon concierge will promptly contact you to arrange a consultation appointment. Natural Beaded Rows® : Stunning Hair. Seamless Color. Natural Looking. Minimal Care.